You’ll really feel the luck of the Irish once you tuck into this hearty and savory Sluggish Cooker Sausage, Cabbage, and Potatoes recipe.
I shed a tear the day I modified my final title.
My little weep was not as a result of I needed to make a dreaded journey to the DMV or as a result of I had taken on a married title that rhymed with my first title.
My single subject with my married title: it was not Irish.
I grew up a loud and proud Irish woman because of my dad and grandfather (although I’m really 75% German).
So it was a little bit of an id disaster once I adopted a brand new final title that didn’t have a shred of Gaelic pleasure.
Sure, I actually am that cliché.
5 Star Assessment
“My entire household LOVES this! So many complementary flavors. Yum!”
— Lynne —
Irish delicacies doesn’t benefit from the heat reputation of a few of the nation’s extra celebrated exports (i.e. Guinness particularly for these Guinness Brownies).
Irish meals is hearty, starchy, and usually designed to gasoline farmers to face up to lengthy days in soggy fields.
Key elements in Irish delicacies embrace potatoes, sausages, extra potatoes, cabbage (hey, Cabbage Steaks), and did I point out potatoes?
To have a good time St. Paddy’s, I took these conventional elements, added some sweetly sautéed onions, dried oregano, and punchy roasted crimson peppers, popped all of it into the sluggish cooker, and let it work its magic.
The ensuing recipe is a hearty and satisfying dish that’s completely festive for St. Patrick’s Day (like this Crockpot Beef Stew) however simple sufficient to whip up and luxuriate in any evening you’re searching for some good old school consolation meals.
The right way to Make Sluggish Cooker Sausage, Cabbage, and Potatoes
With juicy smoked turkey sausage, tender potatoes, cabbage, and zippy roasted crimson peppers, this easy Irish dinner recipe is filled with comforting flavors that come to life proper in your sluggish cooker.
For an additional yummy crockpot recipe with potatoes, try this Crockpot Potato Soup.
No crockpot? Do this One Pan Cabbage and Sausage Skillet with Rice as a substitute.
- Smoked Sausage. I hold issues lean and imply with smoked turkey sausage (a.okay.a. turkey kielbasa). Cooked correctly, I discover that it’s simply as juicy as pork or beef varieties however with significantly much less fats and ldl cholesterol.
- Cabbage. This recipe requires an entire head of cabbage to go within the sluggish cooker. It should appear to be quite a bit initially nevertheless it cooks down significantly because it wilts (similar to on this Sautéed Cabbage). Full of vitamin Ok, vitamin C, and folate, cabbage is one vegetable that, I really feel, doesn’t get sufficient love.
- Potatoes. My favourite sort of potatoes for sluggish cooker sausage and cabbage with potatoes are Yukon gold potatoes. When cooked they grow to be extremely comfortable, buttery, and creamy (in addition they make one of the best Do-it-yourself Scalloped Potatoes).
- Onions + Garlic. Add the proper steadiness of sweetness and chunk to the dish.
- Roasted Purple Peppers. For a bit of distinction coloration, zip, and added taste that compliments the spices of the sausage. (Right here’s how I make Roasted Purple Peppers from scratch.)
- Oregano. A sprinkling of earthy dried oregano provides fragrant herb taste to spherical out the recipe.
You’ll be able to jazz this recipe up additional with different complimentary contemporary or dried herbs you take pleasure in. Parsley, rosemary, thyme, or sage would all be great additions to this dish.
- Saute the onions in melted butter till softened. Add the garlic, then cook dinner till aromatic.
- Add potatoes, sausage, salt, oregano, and pepper and cook dinner till the sausage begins to brown.
- Switch to a sluggish cooker, add the water and canopy with a lid. Cook dinner on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Throughout the remaining half-hour, add within the cabbage and crimson bell peppers.
- Cook dinner till the cabbage has wilted, then serve heat. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Leftovers might be refrigerated in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Heat within the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes till heated by.
- To Freeze. Retailer leftover sluggish cooker sausage and cabbage within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Defrost in a single day within the fridge earlier than warming.
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Sluggish Cooker. For this recipe, I like utilizing a programmable sluggish cooker so I can set it and neglect it.
- Dutch Oven. Or a deep heavy skillet is required for the preliminary sauting of the sausage, potatoes, and onions.
- Chef’s Knife. That is maybe one of the best funding you may make in case you are somebody who does a whole lot of chopping within the kitchen.
The Greatest Sluggish Cooker
Sed posuere consectetur est at lobortis. Aenean eu leo quam. Pellentesque ornare sem lacinia quam venenatis vestibulum.
Overlook in regards to the pot of gold, I desire a sluggish cooker filled with this crockpot sausage, potatoes, and cabbage on the finish of my subsequent rainbow.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
I’ve by no means tried making this sausage, potatoes, and cabbage recipe in a strain cooker earlier than so I, sadly, can’t supply any suggestions for adapting this recipe for the Immediate Pot.
Sure. It may be troublesome to seek out genuine Irish sausages (or bangers) in the US until you’re fortunate sufficient to reside close to an Irish market (during which case, go for it!). Polish kielbasa is an accessible various that also tastes nice.
I’ve by no means made this sluggish cooker sausage recipe with sauerkraut earlier than nonetheless, I think about you could possibly swap a small portion of the cabbage for sauerkraut—it could have extra of a German aptitude and shall be extra vinegary and the cabbage extra mushy, since sauerkraut is already comfortable. For those who determine to experiment, I’d love to listen to about your outcomes.
Now that’s the spirit! Sure, you may swap the water on this recipe for a darkish beer, amber beer, or lager.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion giant, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 5 Yukon gold potatoes small/medium, minimize into 3/4 inch items
- 12 ounces smoked turkey sausage reminiscent of kielbasa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 cups cabbage chopped, about 1 giant head
- 1 cup chopped roasted crimson bell peppers from a jar
In a big pot over medium, soften butter with olive oil. As soon as the butter has melted, add onions and saute till they start to melt and switch translucent; about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook dinner for 1 further minute.
Add potatoes, sausage, salt, oregano, and pepper. Stir and cook dinner till sausage begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
Switch your entire pot to a 5-quart or bigger sluggish cooker and canopy with 1/4 cup water.
Cowl and cook dinner on low for 6-8 hours. For the final half-hour of cooking, stir within the cabbage and crimson bell peppers.
As soon as the cabbage and peppers are tender, serve heat. Ideally, beside a pint of Guinness.
- TO STORE: Leftovers might be refrigerated in an hermetic container for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Heat within the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes till heated by.
- TO FREEZE: Retailer leftover sluggish cooker sausage and cabbage within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Defrost in a single day within the fridge earlier than warming.
Serving: 1(of 4)Energy: 461kcalCarbohydrates: 53gProtein: 19gFats: 21gSaturated Fats: 8gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 9gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 60mgPotassium: 1347mgFiber: 9gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 586IUVitamin C: 120mgCalcium: 124mgIron: 11mg
Be a part of right this moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.