A shiny, nutty topping and creamy arugula pesto amp up the flavour on this roasted cauliflower steak recipe. It is a easy, satisfying, and scrumptious meal!
Jack and I made this cauliflower steak recipe for Valentine’s Day final week. We liked it a lot that I knew I needed to share it with all of you!
As a prepare dinner, considered one of my favourite issues to do is to show a vegetable right into a major dish. This cauliflower steak recipe is a implausible approach to just do that. I begin by searing thick slices of cauliflower in a scorching cast-iron skillet till they’re deeply golden brown. Then, I switch them to the oven and roast till they’re nutty and tender. To make them a meal, I serve them over a swoosh of arugula pesto and prime them off with a fast garnish of herbs, capers, golden raisins, and nuts.
All collectively, the mixture is straightforward, elevated, and completely scrumptious. The topping and the sauce distinction superbly, and the meaty cauliflower steak is so satisfying. When you’re seeking to shake up your common dinner rotation, look no additional. This cauliflower steak recipe is simply the factor for you.
Cauliflower Steak Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this cauliflower steak recipe:
- Cauliflower, in fact! To be able to slice 4 cohesive steaks, I like to recommend beginning with two heads of cauliflower. You’ll undoubtedly have additional cauliflower florets leftover. Roast them alongside the steaks, or strive one of many cauliflower recipes on the backside of this put up!
- Further-virgin olive oil – You’ll use some for cooking the cauliflower and extra for the pesto and the topping.
- Arugula pesto – This shiny, peppery sauce is fast and simple to make within the blender. It makes use of fundamental substances like arugula, cashews, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Pine nuts and hazelnuts – They add nutty taste and loads of crunch to the straightforward topping.
- Parsley – For contemporary taste.
- Golden raisins – Their candy taste balances the chew of the arugula pesto, and their chewy texture contrasts properly with the crunchy nuts.
- Capers – For salty, briny taste.
- Sliced pink chiles or pink pepper flakes – For warmth.
- Lemon zest – It brightens the entire dish up.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
The way to Make Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
If you make this cauliflower steak recipe, step one is chopping the cauliflower. Take away the outer leaves from the primary head of cauliflower. Stand the cauliflower upright on its backside stem, and lower the cauliflower in half from prime to backside. Then, slice a 1 1/2-inch-thick steak from every half of the cauliflower, conserving the core intact. Repeat with the second head of cauliflower. You’ll simply use the cauliflower steaks on this recipe. Save the remaining florets for one more use!
Subsequent, sear the cauliflower steaks. Coat the underside of a skillet with oil and place it over medium warmth. Sear every cauliflower steak till it’s golden brown on either side, work in batches as mandatory.
Then, bake. Place the seared cauliflower steaks on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and season them with salt, pepper, and a bit extra olive oil. Roast at 425°F till the cores are fork-tender, about 25 minutes.
In the meantime, put together the topping and sauce. Whizz collectively the arugula pesto, and blend collectively the topping substances.
When the cauliflower steaks are prepared, plate them over the sauce and sprinkle them with the herb and nut topping. Add a last drizzle of olive oil, for those who like. Then, dig in!
Cauliflower Steak Serving Ideas
Served with the topping and sauce, these roasted cauliflower steaks are a light-weight, but satisfying meal on their very own. When you’re within the temper for one thing heartier, add a mattress of cooked grains beneath the cauliflower steak. Wheat berries, farro, quinoa, or couscous would all work effectively right here. A number of roasted chickpeas could be a pleasant garnish too!
Extra Favourite Cauliflower Recipes
Leftover cauliflower? Use it in considered one of these recipes:
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped contemporary parsley
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 small fresno chili, chopped or ¼ teaspoon pink pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Take away the coarse outer leaves of every cauliflower, then slice 2 (1½ -inch-thick) “steaks” from the middle of every cauliflower, conserving the core intact. Chopping the steaks from the middle is the easiest way to get slabs that can keep intact by way of the cooking course of. You’ll have fairly a little bit of cauliflower leftover. Put it aside to make our Cauliflower Pasta or any of those cauliflower recipes one other day!
Warmth a skillet over medium warmth and brush with oil. Place one or two cauliflower steaks within the pan and sear for two to three minutes per aspect, or till golden brown. Repeat with the remaining cauliflower steaks. Switch every steak to the baking sheet, sprinkle either side with salt and pepper, drizzle with just a little bit extra olive oil, and roast within the oven for 22 to twenty-eight minutes, or till the core is fork-tender.
Make the topping: In a small bowl, stir collectively the pine nuts, hazelnuts, parsley, raisins, lemon zest, capers, chili, and olive oil.
Assemble plates with a slather of the pesto, a cauliflower steak, spoonfuls of the topping, and one other drizzle of olive oil, if desired, and serve.