You’ll love this scrumptious, silky Greek Avgolemono soup full of hen, rice and dill with a lemon-egg sauce. Delish!
Avgolemono Hen and Rice Soup
Avgolemono refers back to the traditional Greek sauce of egg, lemon, and broth, which enriches and brightens numerous dishes. This constituted of scratch soup has all of the coziness of a hen noodle soup, however the lemon juice provides a pop of sunshine. Eggs make it silky and creamy with none dairy, and a sprinkle of contemporary dill with a swirl of olive oil makes it energetic and full. Extra comforting hen soup recipes it is best to attempt are Hen and Cavatelli Soup, Hen Barley Soup, and Hen Shiitake and Wild Rice Soup.
What nation is avgolemono from?
Avgolemono means “egg-lemon” in Greek, however the soup can also be present in “Arab, Sephardic Jewish, Turkish, Balkan and Jewish-Italian delicacies.”
Is avgolemono soup wholesome?
This Greek hen, lemon and rice soup is nutritious and comforting. It’s creamy with out the cream, so it’s comparatively low in energy, and the protein content material is excessive due to the hen and eggs.
Avgolemono Soup Elements
- Dill: Contemporary dill is important, so don’t substitute it with dried. To prep the dill, pull all of the fronds from the stem and reserve a half cup of them for garnish.
- Broth: Use two quarts of low-sodium hen broth.
- Hen Thighs: You’ll want 1 ½ kilos of boneless, skinless thighs.
- Rice: I like this soup greatest with white rice, however brown rice would work too.
- Egg Lemon Combination: You’ll whisk some scorching broth into the eggs to mood earlier than including them to the pot to maintain them from scrambling. Then add fresh-squeezed lemon juice from about two lemons.
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
- Additional-Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling earlier than serving
How one can Make Avgolemono Soup
- Prepare dinner the Hen: Put the dill stems, hen, rice, and hen inventory or broth in a big pot or dutch oven and convey it to a boil over excessive warmth. Decrease the warmth to medium-low, stir, and prepare dinner coated for about 25 minutes till the hen is tender.
- Shred the Hen: Use a slotted spoon to take away the hen and stems from the broth. Discard the stems and shred the meat with two forks.
- Make the Egg Sauce: Enhance the warmth to medium-high and convey the inventory to an lively simmer. Whisk the eggs till frothy in a medium bowl, after which stir within the lemon juice. Whilst you’re nonetheless whisking the eggs, step by step drizzle in a couple of cup or ladle of the recent broth and blend till completely mixed.
- End the Soup: Pour the lemon-egg combination into the pot with the broth and instantly take away it from the warmth in order that the eggs don’t begin to prepare dinner. Stir within the shredded hen, style, and add extra lemon juice as wanted. Garnish with dill, pepper, and olive oil.
Variations and Ideas:
- You need to use hen breast or turkey breast rather than hen thighs
- If you want, you can also make this with orzo or small pasta rather than rice. Add it on the finish earlier than including the avgolemono sauce and prepare dinner based on bundle instructions. As soon as cooked, proceed with including the lemon-egg combination.
- If you want, you possibly can add extra greens reminiscent of diced carrots, onions and celery in step 2.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic container as much as 4 days. It’s also possible to freeze this soup as much as 3 months in freezer-safe containers.
How one can Freeze Avgolemono Soup
Leftovers will final within the fridge for as much as 4 days, or since this straightforward Greek lemon soup doesn’t have any dairy, it may be frozen. Retailer the soup in glass containers, leaving somewhat house on the prime, and freeze it for as much as three months. To thaw it, place it within the fridge the day earlier than and microwave it till heat.
Extra Hen Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
Your feedback are useful! In the event you’ve tried this wholesome Avgolemono Hen and Rice Soup recipe or every other on Skinnytaste, don’t overlook to charge the recipe and go away me a remark under. And in case you took a photograph of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can reshare it on my Tales!
Avgolemono Hen and Rice Soup
You will love this scrumptious, silky Greek Avgolemono soup full of hen, rice and dill with a lemon-egg sauce. Delish!
- ½ ounce container contemporary dill
- 2 quarts low-sodium hen broth
- 1 ½ kilos boneless skinless hen thighs
- 3/4 cup raw white rice
- 2 massive eggs
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus extra as wanted
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- floor black pepper, to style
- drizzle extra-virgin olive oil for serving
Pull the dill fronds from the stems; reserve 1/2 cup of the fronds for garnish.
In a pot, mix the stems, hen thighs and rice with the hen broth and convey to a boil over excessive warmth.
Decrease the warmth to medium-low and stir. Cowl and prepare dinner the hen till tender, 25 minutes.
Use a slotted spoon to take away the hen and stems from the broth. Discard the stems and switch the hen to a plate then shred with 2 forks.
In the meantime, improve the warmth to medium-high and convey the inventory as much as an lively simmer.
In a big heatproof bowl, vigorously whisk the eggs till frothy. Add ¼ cup lemon juice and blend to include.
Whilst you whisk the eggs, step by step drizzle in 1 ladleful (about 1 cup) of the broth (it’s OK if some grains of rice tag alongside) and blend till totally mixed.
Pour the lemon-egg combination into the pot with the broth, instantly take away from the warmth, and stir within the shredded hen. Style and add extra lemon juice to style.
Garnish with a beneficiant quantity of contemporary dill, black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
In the event you want to use hen breast, that might be nice too.
Serving: 11/2 cups, Energy: 265kcal, Carbohydrates: 21.5g, Protein: 27.5g, Fats: 6.5g, Saturated Fats: 2g, Ldl cholesterol: 168.5mg, Sodium: 413mg, Fiber: 0.5g, Sugar: 2g
Key phrases: Avgolemono, hen and rice soup, Hen Soup, greek soup